Skip to main content

UC Education Abroad Program

The UC Education Abroad Program (UCEAP), is a UC systemwide program in which students from across the UC system can partake in study abroad expereinces at over 170 programs in over 40 countries across the world. 

Students within any of the Poltical Science majors can take political science courses through UCEAP almost anywhere in the world. Academic credits earned are UC units and will factor in to your UC GPA.

The UCEAP site - UCEAP: Political Science Abroad - only list a few of the EAP Study Abroad Programs focused on Political Science. Students studying political science can often find relevant courses at most universities across the world.

Click here for UCSD deadlines pertaining to UCEAP Programs. 

Going Global: Studying Abroad as a Political Science Major Brochure

For more information, please visit the official website of UCEAP.

NEW! - Department of Political Science Course Database

The Department of Political Science, with the help of UCEAP, have created a database that include previous approved courses that students have taken at various countries abroad!

Created in January 2020, this is a "living database", meaning courses will be added as UCSD Political Science students continue to go abroad and submit courses for approval in their major's requirements upon their return.

If you have questions about the courses or the database, please send a message to the Department's Undergraduate Advisor via the Virtual Advising Center.

Database Link 

UCSD Campus Credit Abroad

The UCSD Campus Credit Abroad database helps students identify what types of credit (major, minor, general education, electives) UCSD students have received in the past for courses taken on UCEAP. Discuss all course options with your appropriate advisor (College and Department) before committing to a program.

UCEAP Public Course Catalog

The UCEAP Public Course Catalog includes courses previously taken by EAP students at universities across the world.

Finding Course Unit Loads for UCEAP

Sometimes it can be difficult to find out how many units a course is worth in order to complete your Academic Planning Form.

If you cannot find a course through the UCEAP, UCSD, or Department of Political Science UCEAP course databases, then please see if you can find the information by following the steps below. 

Step One: Go to the  Participant's Portal page

Step Two: Click "All Program Guides", located in the yellow box on the right side of the page. 

Step Three: Select the country you will be studying abroad in.

Step Four: Select the specific program you have chosen for your study abroad opportunity

Step Four: Click the Academic Information section

Step Five: Click the Course Information subcategory

Once you have completed the Academic Planning Form with the courses you plan to take while studying abroad, bring the course syllabi and Academic Planning Form to the Political Science Department during walk-in advising hours for a signature. 

Political Science majors may transfer up to six courses from outside UCSD to the major. This includes EAP/OAP courses, community college courses, courses taken at other 4-year universities, and AP courses.

In order for study abroad courses to be allowable for the major, they must be Political Science courses, and transfer to UCSD as upper-division, with 4 or units each, and with a letter grade of C- or better.