Skip to main content

Transferring From Another UC

At least 10 courses in political science must be taken in residence at UCSD. A total maximum of six courses may be taken elsewhere and applied toward the major. This applies to transfer students, students who pass the AP exam(s), students who study abroad on the Education Abroad Program (EAP) or the Opportunities Abroad Program (OAP), and students who take political science courses at another 4 year university (including UCs). Students planning to transfer course work completed elsewhere are urged to consult an undergraduate student affairs advisor.

Upper Division Courses

The Department of Political Science allows students to transfer upper-division courses in political science from other UC campuses without petitioning. Please send a message via the Virtual Advising Center ( if you have courses being transferred or plan to take coursework at another UC. Be sure any political science coursework taken at another UC campus does not duplicate coursework taken in political science at UCSD.

Check with an undergraduate advisor to determine whether coursework may be applied to your area of concentration.

If the other UC campus offers political science courses through an interdisciplinary department (i.e., Law and Politics) be sure to check with an undergraduate advisor prior to taking the course in order to assure credit upon your return to UCSD.

Lower Division Courses

If you take a lower-division course at another UC campus with the same title as any of the lower-division courses in political science offered at UCSD, you will be allowed to apply it toward the major, i.e., Introduction to American Politics = POLI 10 at UCSD. If you are unsure about the course, check with an undergraduate advisor prior to taking it.

Receiving Credit

Upon completion of coursework taken outside of UCSD, all official transcripts must be sent to the UC San Diego Admissions office for evaluation and posting to your academic history. Note: It takes approximately 10-12 weeks from the time you send transcripts for them to be received, evaluated and posted to your academic history.

If you plan to take your last course(s) at another UC campus, check with your college to determine if a Senior Residency Waiver will be required.