Thank you for your interest in applying to our Ph.D. program. The Department accepts applications of students interested in obtaining a doctoral degree. The department does not admit students who are interested solely in obtaining a Master's Degree.
Students are only admitted into the program for Fall Quarter. The school year typically begins the third week of September. The application for admission for fall 2015 is now closed.
The application for 2016 will open in September.
Students who wish to apply for the Ph.D. program must present the following materials:
- UCSD Application for Graduate Admission
- Official evidence that a baccalaureate degree has been received from an accredited institution or the equivalent, with training comparable to that provided by the University of California.
- Transcripts from each college attended. Applicants will be asked to upload their transcripts to the online graduate application system directly for review purposes. If nominated for admission applicants must then provide official hard copy transcripts to OGS Graduate Admissions office.
- Three letters of recommendations from faculty members familiar with previous work and able to assess the potential for graduate study (Letters are to be submitted ONLINE ONLY. No paper letters will be accepted).
- Official score reports on the Graduate Record Examination (institution code 4836, department code 1902). Please verify your name on the GRE test matches the name entered in the UCSD application.
- Writing sample, optional. For those who submit a writing sample, any length is acceptable. We highly encourage research papers.
International Students: UCSD encourages and welcomes applications from international students. UCSD is committed to excellence and diversity in our graduate program. The department will work with international students to assemble a financial aid program and plan of study that will help support your career goals. We strongly encourage you to apply for funding in your home country as well as from funding sources here at UCSD.