Skip to main content

How to Transfer Units

I want to transfer credit: 

Upper Division

The Department of Political Science allows students to transfer upper-division courses in political science from other UC campuses without a petition. Please send a message via the Virtual Advising Center ( if you have courses being transferred or plan to take coursework at another UC. Always check in to ensure you are not duplicating coursework taken here.

Check with an undergraduate advisor to determine whether coursework may be applied to your area of concentration.

Other UC campuses offer political science courses through interdisciplinary programs, for example Law and Politics. Please check with a department undergraduate advisor prior to taking the course in order to ensure the coursework will apply toward the political science major here.

Lower Division

If you take a lower-division course at another UC campus with the same title as any of the lower-division courses in political science offered at UCSD, you will be allowed to apply it toward the major, i.e., Introduction to American Politics = POLI 10 at UCSD. If you are unsure about the course, check with an undergraduate advisor prior to taking it.

Receiving Credit

Make sure you have your transcript sent to UCSD Admissions in order that the course can be posted to your transcript. Always check with an academic advisor at your college for any issues related to residency.

A maximum of six courses may be transferred toward the political science major. Transfer courses include: all lower division courses from community college(s); AP exam(s); study abroad; four year university courses including any UC; and all concurrent enrollment courses taken through extension at any UC.

Additional resources for transfer students can be found at Transfer Student Services